Wednesday 18 February 2015

The sky is the limit-Living a transgender life in Swaziland |Manqoba 'Pinty' Dludlu




I've been asked by a lot about the things that inspire me. I don't really get inspired by so many things easily. I've tried finding inspiration to even draft my first blog post but I would just stop half way through (really) .. Until I finally paused, took a breath and started all over again.

I somehow realised that im inspired by free spirited people. People who are willing to beat the odds and live their lives the way they want to, irregardles of stereotype and maybe 'taboos' !
Manqoba 'Pinty' Dludlu is a walking definition for free spirit. A humble soul from Matsapha, Swaziland. Destined for greater things in this life. His down to earth persona just attracts you from afar.
I was lucky to get close to him and eventually get the permission to write about him.

Determined to show the whole world that no cultural belief, haters or stereotype can hold you down. A transgender determined to leave a mark in the Swazi society! This is what he got to say:

FROM MANQOBA TO PINTY? TELL ME ABOUT THE JOURNEY.

It all began way back at university. I was well known as this pint sized diva that loved fun a lot. I would grace the style pages of the Times of Swaziland every week with my trademark legs and body.

YOU HAVE A LOT OF AWARDS TO YOURSELF. TELL ME ABOUT THEM

I am am so honoured to have taken part and got these awards. They always encourage me to work harder in life.
•Second princess Miss gay, Swaziland 2007/8
•UNISWA's most stylish male 2009/10 (award that propelled me to the public eye)
•Reigning miss sexual diversity2014/15
•Drag queen of the year 2014/15

BEING A QUEEN COMES WITH A LOT OF WARDROBE ATTENTION. WHO INSPIRES YOU WHEN IT COMES TO FASHION?

Locally I view Ms Gciniwe Fakudze as a style icon. Her dress sense is just out of this world.
•Mduduzi 'Lokza' Lokotfwako (now based in Cape Town, SA) would give me a run for my money back at school. His dress sense is just on point.

Outside the Swazi borders,
•Bonang Matheba has a very fabulous dress sense, she never gets it wrong when it comes to fashion.
•Theo Kgosingwe never dissapoints aswel. He has a great taste in fashion. His outfits are always outstanding.
•How can i forget David Tlale? That man is a god when it comes to fashion. He really does justice to all his clothing.

WE ARE STILL FRESH FROM THE VALENTINES WEEKEND. ANYTHING INTERESTING ABOUT IT?

For me, valentines day is just a normal day like all the rest. I would see its relevency way back when my parents would exchange gifts. I havent been lucky to find a guy who fancies it so i dont really fancy it either. Being bottom, i expect guys to make the first move and maybe i can return the favour!

Get to know LaPinty more by following him on instagram @lapintydee


No comments: