Thursday 5 March 2015

Up Close and personal with Mkhondo FMs Surprise Maila aka Lady-S


"Love yourself to forgive yourself for all your mistakes, flaws and time wasted-you are with it"-Surprise Maila

I was honoured this week to get the chance to interview a very humble and special soul, Surprise Maila. Surprise is a radio broadcaster from a recently opened radio station in Piet Retief called Mkhondo FM. She is such a humbled, God fearing young woman. The warmth in her smile just told me I had to do this interview. I had no choice but to hear her story.

 Briefly tell me more about your upbringing On the 5th of November one day, God came down at the Baragwanath hospital in Johannesburg. I enjoy the joys of being a last born at home (chuckles). I have never been stationed at one place ever since my childhood. My life has been lived (to the fullest) around Gauteng-KZN-Mpumalanga. I came to Piet retief in 2003 and did my matric at Piet Retief Combined School

When did you realise you have a passion for radio?
During my school days (at Standard7 to be precise), I started noticing that God has blessed me with the skill for radio and I would listen to and imitate Ukhozi FM deejays. I listened a lot of jacaranda, Metro and Ukhozi FM. At school I was this loud kid that everyone loved being around. My teachers started giving me positions that were supposed to be filled by senior students just because of my ability to speak. They started encouraging me that I should do media studies at varsity.

How was life after school?
I encountered a very huge disappointment after high school when I applied for media studies at university and never got accepted. Since the God in me won't let dissapointments hold me down, I applied for a course in Business management and did that for two years.
Do you have any role models in the broadcasting business? Who do you look up to? 
I love Dudu Khoza from Ukhozi FM . We have so many things in common with her. I have never met her in person but i'd say we are so much alike.We both have the love for people and surprisingly, we have the same slot on radio(from 9am-12 midday) . I just love following her life and knowing more about her.

 Are you a fashionista? Who inspires the way you dress? 
Cece Winans is who I look up to when it comes to fashion. That woman's dress sense defines her status, and she is just on point all the time!

 You are married, tell me more about married life and how you juggle work and family.
I am so in love with my husband and daughter. They are the reason I wake up everyday with a smile on my face. I was so lucky to get married to an understanding man. I do not stay with my family and they are two hours away from me. I make the most out of every chance I get to go and see them. My absence never bothers them because they are always on my mind and they know that. Work is never a reason why one should desert their family.

 What advise would you give to young people that look up to you?
To all the young people out there, always know it will not be easy since everything comes with its fair share of challenges.
Always know that family comes first, PRIORITISE!! Value family.
Another important thing is being yourself. Do not try imitating your role models: they make mistakes too.

Tell me about your new family, the Mkhondo FM family.
I have a very great relationship with my workmates. Yes every workplace has its own share of problems but the trick is how well you work together as a team to sort them out.

"Never let anyone tell you its impossible. Your future is in your hands"


Five facts about Lady-S

  • I love singing.
  • I love reading aswel. I am more into motivatoonal material. Currently reading 'Destined to reign' by Joseph Prince.
  • The kitchen is my playground. I love cooking a lot. 
  • I am a child of the most high God. He is everything in my life.
  • I love writing. Give me my notepad and pen anytime.
Thank you very much for reading :) 
Follow Lady S on Facebook: Lady S at Mkhondo FM 

No comments: